IEEE Launches IEEE TryComputing.org to Raise Awareness of Computing Careers
5 September 2012 – IEEE has launched a new, online pre-university computing education portal, IEEE TryComputing.org, to raise awareness of and spark student interest in computing and associated careers.
IEEE Educational Activities and the IEEE Computer Society developed IEEE TryComputing.org to make computing education resources available for pre-university teachers, school counselors, parents, and students all over the world.
The site, modeled after the successful TryEngineering.org launched in 2006, features a wide range of information about academic and career preparation in computing including:
• profiles of computing professionals and students that show the wide range of career options available;
• a computing career cloud tool that suggests careers for visitors to explore further based their personal interests;
• lesson plans designed to help pre-university educators introduce essential computing concepts to their students including step-by-step instructions and lists of necessary materials, student worksheets, and references to education standards. Teachers can also rate and review lesson plans featured on the site;
• a searchable database of accredited computing degree programs worldwide;
• lists of competitions, scholarships and extracurricular activities.