The IEEE Digital & Creative Innovations Team provides guidelines, resources, and tools for use by the IEEE digital publishing community.
Please note: Access to some documents on this page is limited to IEEE members, volunteers, and employees and requires an IEEE Account.
Following are several tools available to the digital publishing community at IEEE. Some tools are provided to IEEE employees only and others are available for use by the wider digital publishing community.
- Siteimprove: Siteimprove is a useful web-based tool that can help you to better manage the quality assurance on your site content. The tool crawls your site content looking for broken links and misspelled words.
- View the Siteimprove Demo
- Download the basic user guide for IEEE.org (DOCX, 347 KB)
- Backlink Checker: An online tool that identifies links that point to any given URL. It is helpful to inform content migration, redirect setup, and content update processes.
- Access link checker tool (works best in Chrome)
- Icon Library: An icon is a small picture or symbol intended to help people quickly recognize a tool, site, function or file format. Icons should be consistent in their behavior, positioning, and design and should reinforce commonly used metaphors.
- Download the IEEE icon library (ZIP, 246 MB) ZIP file contains 32 x 32 pixels icons in GIF and PNG formats, usage guidelines, and best practices
- Image Optimizer/Resizer: A freely distributed program for tasks such as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring.
- Access GIMP
- Accessibility Checklist: Use this information as a guide when assessing the accessibility of your site content. The information provided is used in order to comply with WCAG 2.0 Level A compliance per the IEEE Digital Style Guide. The information is relevant to multiple roles, whether you are a content editor, developer, or site manager.
- Download the web accessibility quick checklist (PDF, 148 KB)
- URL Shortener: This is a free IEEE service that helps shorten IEEE web page URLs by removing unnecessary portions of the URL.
- Access the IEEE URL shortening form
- Digital Analytics: Digital analytics applications provide statistics for visitor traffic and activity within a digital site and process it into useful reports. Webtrends On Demand is the IEEE Enterprise Platform for digital analytics.
- Access Webtrends On Demand (access granted to IEEE employees after training)
- Digital Library: The Digital & Creative Innovations Team has an extensive library of books for use by IEEE employees on topics such as digital usability, design, information architecture, and much more.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get information on available titles
- Redirects: Available for creating redirects within the "www.ieee.org" domain resulting in a shortened URL for IEEE sites. Available to IEEE employees, members, and volunteers maintaining digital content for Regions, Sections, Councils, Societies, Chapters, and Student Branches.
- Access the IEEE URL Redirect Registration Form
- The IEEE Digital Sub-sites Template System: Designed for use by IEEE volunteers and employees; contains starter information architecture documents (sitemaps) as well as a collection of HTML pages and related files and WordPress themes for each of seven common site types.
Please note: The IEEE Programs template is only available in HTML.
There are seven pages for each site type including a home page, landing pages, article pages, and a sitemap. IEEE groups can differentiate pages through the customization options detailed within the guidelines document linked below. Implementation and maintenance of the templates requires some level of technical ability and support infrastructure, whether internal or from a partner firm.
Download template usage guidelines, sitemaps, and instructions (PDF, 8.5 MB)
Download the quick reference guide (PDF, 120 KB)
Preview/download sub-site templates (sign in required | request access)
Email email@example.com (the IEEE Entity Web Hosting Webmaster) to request access to WordPress themes
top of page