Skip Navigation

Home  >  Education & Careers  >  CEUS

Below are some frequently asked questions and answers regarding Continuing Education Units (CEUs).


About CEUs

Q:  What is a CEU?
A: The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a currency that measures a person's participation in a formal, non-credit continuing education program, such as a workshop, seminar, tutorial, or self-study course. Courses approved by IEEE for awarding CEUs meet strict requirements for course exercises, assessments, and evaluations. 

Q: What is a PDH?
A: The Professional Development Hour (PDH) is a currency that measures a person's participation in a formal, non-credit continuing education program, such as a workshop, seminar, tutorial, and self-study course. It also measures non-formal learning events such as attending speaker events, learning tours, and webinars.
Q: Can CEUs be converted into PDHs?
A: Yes, CEUs can be readily translated into PDHs (1 CEU = 10 PDHs).
Q:  What is the difference between CEUs and PDHs?
A: The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) prepared a manual entitled "Continuing Professional Competency Guidelines" that "provides guidelines for the jurisdictions and territories that have or are planning to have continuing professional competency requirements for relicensing." In this document, the terms "professional development hour (PDH)" and "Continuing Education Unit (CEU)" are defined. See below for these definitions. Refer to NCEES's "Continuing Professional Competency Guidelines" for further information on PDH and CEU requirements and criteria. Also, check with individual jurisdictions and territories for their specific requirements.

PDH - A contact hour (nominal) of instruction or presentation. The common denominator for other units of credit.

CEU - Unit of credit customarily used for continuing education courses. One continuing education unit equals 10 hours of class in approved continuing education course. 

top of page



Q: What guideline and criteria does IEEE follow for administering CEUs?
A: IEEE is authorized by the IEEE Educational Activities Board to administer and manage the guidelines and processing of IEEE certificates for CEUs, PDHs, and Certificates of Participation.
Q: Are the CEUs given by IEEE recognized by New York State Board and Florida State Board?
A: Since IEEE is an authorized provider in New York, the New York State Board accepts IEEE CEUs. IEEE is an authorized provider for the Florida State Board; the provider number is EXP00015.



top of page


Reference and documentation

Q: How can I find out what my state's continuing education requirements for license renewal are?
A: Please refer to the State CE Requirements list on the website.
Q: How can I find out the contact information for the licensing boards in the United States and its territories?
A: To find out your state's licensing boards' contact information, please refer to
Q: How can course organizers download the current CEU application form?
Q: What forms should be completed on the day of the course?
A: For all approved courses seeking to award CEUs, the CEU Evaluation Form is required for each participant. Access the form.
Q: After the course is completed, what do I need to submit to the IEEE Certificate Program Administrator?  
A: After your course is completed, send IEEE the completed Excel roster template for each learning event. Email address information is mandatory. Participants will be awarded their certificates via a PDF file sent through email.
Q: After completion of the course, how soon are the CEU certificates sent to the participants, and how are they transmitted?
A: CEU certificates are emailed to the participants usually within 14 business days after the course information is received by the Program Administrator.
Q: How do course participants apply for CEU credit/certificates on their own?
A: The IEEE Certificate Program does not accept applications from participants. Requests must come from the educational provider, and they must complete the application process.


top of page


How can I obtain CEUs?

Q: Can participants receive certificates for attending a paper or panel session?
A: Yes, they can if the session is registered and approved to offer them certificates. If the session is not, please direct the organizer to contact the Program Administrator.
Q: Do you need to have the course locations(s) and date(s) set prior to submitting an application for the courses?
A: Yes. 
Q: If the course is to be presented at several locations and/or dates throughout the year, can you receive certification for all locations/dates with one application?
A: No. Each learning event must have its own application.


top of page