Were you invited to join IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu (IEEE-HKN)? Make one of the most important steps toward your future success by becoming an active member.
Membership in IEEE-HKN not only recognizes academic achievements but also indicates leadership potential, both while in school and in the course of a professional career.
IEEE-HKN chapter activities offer many opportunities to learn, grow, and contribute to the profession. Typically, IEEE-HKN chapters develop activities to improve the operation of the academic departments where members study, improve faculty-student communication and collaboration, aid fellow students in their studies, and help the local community.
Through voluntary projects of this kind, IEEE-HKN members learn and experience teamwork, develop leadership skills, and get recognized. In addition, members have many opportunities for leadership roles as chapter officers or as project leaders.
IEEE-HKN has approximately 100,000 members and more than 100 years of history, recognition, and tradition. It is no coincidence that many of today's prominent leaders in our professions were inducted into IEEE-HKN while they were students.
1. Demonstrate academic accomplishment: be publicly recognized by the engineering industry for your exceptional academic accomplishment and strong character.
2. Network with industry leaders: gain connections to IEEE-HKN’s network of members in leading roles within corporations, government, and universities.
3. Access hiring opportunities: possess greater access to key positions in companies around the globe, as well as rapid career advancement by organizations actively seeking IEEE-HKN members.
4. Establish long-term relationships: the relationships formed with IEEE-HKN members now can last for years as your friends become your professional colleagues.
5. Receive advice and mentorship from professors: get to know many of your department's faculty members as you interact with them during IEEE-HKN projects and by the service activities your chapter sponsors, as well as tutoring.
6. Enhance your resume: your IEEE-HKN membership will stand out on your resume. Graduate schools understand the value of IEEE-HKN. Employers prefer to hire IEEE-HKN members because they know that an IEEE-HKN member has demonstrated leadership, as well as strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
7. Dedication to service: IEEE-HKN chapters and their members share their talents and skills with others to benefit their university, department, and communities.
8. Develop professional skills: IEEE-HKN chapters and programs give you the opportunity to develop the vital professional skills most desired beyond technical knowledge. Creativity, the ability to communicate and work with others toward a common goal, is vital to the "complete engineer" reputation IEEE-HKN members enjoy.
9. Expand leadership skills: as a member of the chapter leadership team, you develop your own leadership skills, experience at running an organization, financial management, and goal setting, all of which are marketable skills required for today's competitive job market.