2023 IEEE Treasurer
Mary Ellen Randall
Mary Ellen Randall
Ms. Randall is;
- an IEEE Fellow, IEEE Treasurer, & MOVE Community Outreach Program Director.
- founder/CEO Ascot Technologies, Inc., an award winning full stack software development company. She held a variety of management and technical positions with IBM, including commercialization of hardware & software.
- won the 2020 IEEE Haraden Pratt Award, is a member of the Eta Kappa Nu honor society, was named a top Woman In Business in RTP, NC & made Business Leader Magazine’s Impact 100 List.
Significant IEEE Activities
2020 Haraden Pratt Award (IEEE Level)
MGA Leadership Award
IEEEUSA George R. McClure Citation of Honor
Outstanding Volunteer – Eastern North Carolina Section 2005, 2011
• IEEE Treasurer 2021, 2022 and FinCom Chair
• IEEE Investment Committee 2021, 2022
• IEEE MGA Treasurer 2020
• IEEE Educational Activities Board 2019
• IEEE MOVE Program Director 2016-present
• IEEE Vice President Member and Geographic Activities 2017
• IEEE Board of Directors 2014-2015, 2017, 2021
• IEEE-USA Board of Directors 2014-2015
• IEEE MGA Board of Directors 2014-2015
• IEEE TAB/PSPB Products & Services Committee 2016
• IEEE Audit Committee Chair 2015, Secretary 2014
• IEEE Ideation Committee 2015
• IEEE-USA Awards & Recognition Committee Chair 2010-2012
• IEEE Awards Board 2010-2012
• IEEE Awards Board Awards Planning & Policy Committee 2010-2012
• IEEE WIE (worldwide) Committee Chair 2005-2006 & Past Chair 2007
• IEEE MGA Rep to WIE Committee 2008-2009
• IEEE MGA/RAB Awards & Recognition Committee 2006-2008
• IEEE Region 3 Director 2014-2015
• IEEE Director-Elect/Delegate-Elect 2012-2013
• IEEE Region 3 Leadership Development Chair 2011
• IEEE Region 3 Awards & Recognition Chair 2005-2009
• IEEE Eastern NC Section Chair 2004
• IEEE Eastern NC WIE Affinity Group Founder & Chair 2001-2005
• SouthEastCon Paper Reviewer 2011, 2021
• Frequently Invited Speaker, particularly to Students and regional meetings in 2019, 2020, 2021
• TEMSCON Invited Panel Chair 2019
• TENCON invited Speaker 2019
• Student Software Competition Judge and Committee 2011
• Chair, Professional Development Seminar: Managing Your Career in Challenging Times 2011
Currently I am serving as IEEE Treasurer 2021-2022, Chair IEEE FinCom, on the IEEE Investment Committee.
In 2021, I also served Chair of NextGen Oversight Committee.
In 2020, I served as MGA Treasurer and as a member of the IEEE FinCom.
Previously, I served on the IEEE Audit Committee and as IEEE Audit Chair, Vice President of MGA, Region 3 Director, MOVE Community Outreach Program Director, Next Gen Financial Committee, Financial Transparency Committee.
In these roles, it has been necessary to work cooperatively with the CFO and financial community, the IEEE BoD, the External Auditors for IEEE (including meeting with the external auditors to review IEEE’s audited financial statements and recommending acceptance of the financial statements to the IEEE Assembly), the Internal Audit department and other IEEE Operating Unit Treasurers and OU Vice Presidents.
Business Experience: Founder and President of Ascot Technologies, Inc., an award-winning software and system integration company. In IBM – served in a variety of technical and management positions for worldwide development, commercialization and deployment of new products.
Fellow of the IEEE and I also serve as IEEE MOVE Community Outreach Program Director.
Awards: 2020 IEEE Haraden Pratt Award (IEEE level), a member of the Eta Kappa Nu honor society in the profession of Electrical and Computer Engineering, was named a top Woman In Business in the Research Triangle NC area and made Business Leader Magazine’s Impact 100 List.
Why should we select you to serve in this position?
As current IEEE treasurer, I chair the IEEE FinCom and also serve on the IEEE Investment Committee. With such a large transition to a new Financial System, continuity, knowledge of both systems, and the migration steps are important to successful implementation into the volunteer space. We are continuing the Financial Cycle transition and first audit entirely using the new NextGen Finance System in 2022. Then we will begin further exploiting the new function in 2023. I wish to provide the continuity to make that a success for IEEE.
My past experience is particularly relevant: IEEE Treasurer, IEEE Investment Committee, MGA Treasurer, IEEE FinCom, IEEE Audit Committee and Audit Chair, VP MGA, Region 3 Director, MOVE Community Outreach Program Director, Next Gen Financial Committee, Financial Transparency Committee.
My past and present business experience is also relevant since it contains significant financial responsibility in my company and in IBM: Founder and President of Ascot Technologies, Inc., an award-winning software and system integration company. IBM – held a variety of technical and management positions for worldwide development, commercialization and deployment of new products.
My extensive experience in working cooperatively across the organization is important and includes the CFO and financial community, the IEEE BoD, the External Auditors for IEEE (including meeting with the external auditors to review IEEE’s audited financial statements and recommending acceptance of the financial statements to the IEEE Assembly), the Internal Audit department and other IEEE Operating Unit Treasurers and OU Vice Presidents.
1. To operate IEEE in a financially responsible manner, improving financial transparency and reporting so all may contribute to this end effectively.
2. Support the timely and effective implementation of a greatly improved financial process to enable cost effective recording, processing and understanding by all stakeholders.
3. To keep our volunteer treasurers in mind when making system improvements so their job becomes easier, we respect their volunteer time, and provide timely financial reporting and controls.
4. Ensure successful implementation of NextGen Finance system for use by both staff and volunteers as a key tool in achieving the goals above.
5. To realize the full power of our investment in the NextGen Financial system for the benefit of IEEE and its volunteers.