Held senior research and management positions at Bell Labs, AT&T, and Lucent Technologies concerning high performance integrated circuit (IC) design and electronic design automation
(EDA). I have managed and actively participated in the design of high performance digital, mixed signal and RF ICs and design tools for modeling the passive and parasitic components of ICs. In the past, I managed EDA activities in both research and development.
President, Crossbow Consulting, LLC
Founder and VP of Engineering, DAFCA, Inc
Director, Optical Data Systems Research, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
Head, Design Principles Research, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
Head, Design Systems Research, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Supervisor, Integrated Circuits Layout Aids Group, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon, 1979.
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon, 1977.
B.E.E., Electrical Engineering, University of Delaware, 1975.
More than a dozen patents
Member and participant Schenectady Section
TAB Treasurer 2013-2016
First President Council on Electronic Design Automation 2005-2007
Vice-President Regions 1-7, 2000
Board of Governors 1988-1990, 1997-1999, 2003-2005
Conference Board, 1997-1999, 2003-2005
President’s Advisory Board, 1996-1997
Publications Board 1988-1990
Editor Transactions on Computer Aided Design 1990-1992
International Conference on Computer Aided Design, Program Committee 1986-91
Hardware-Software Co-Design Workshop, General Chair 1992
Design Automation Conference, PC 1986-1989, Technical Program Chair 1990-1991, Vice Chair 1992, General Chair 1993, Past Chair 1994, CAS Rep 2003-2005
Dr. Rakesh Kumar is a Semiconductor industry technologist, a leader, a strategist, and an entrepreneurism promoter, educator and coach. He is the Founder of two successful startup companies. Currently he is President of TCX Technology Connexions, and an Entrepreneurship Advisor & Educator at
the Univ. of California, San Diego. TCX Technology Connexions provides management, business, and technical ‘bridging the gaps’ consulting services in advanced technology and virtual operations. Clients include emerging fabless IC companies, mid-size and large, Fortune 500 IC companies, and research
organizations. He teaches a very popular course that provides experiential education, encouragement and coaching in entrepreneurship to engineers and computer scientists. In addition, Dr. Kumar serves on numerous company Boards.
Dr. Kumar is an IEEE Life Fellow, an active volunteer since the late 1980s, a 2019 IEEE TAB ‘Hall of Honor’ recipient, a Region Governor of IEEE-HKN, the Chair of IEEE’s Roadmap Strategy and Governance Ad Hoc, and co-lead of IEEE DataPort’s steering committee. He is Past President (2012-13) of the IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society. His global outreach efforts reversed the declining Society Membership trend, and enabled a 15% SSCS Chapter growth. Dr. Kumar also serves on the BoG of the IEEE Society for Social Implications of Technology.
During his 44 years career in the semiconductor industry, Dr. Kumar has been the VP&GM of Cadence Design’s worldwide Silicon Technology Services business unit, and has held various technical and management positions at Unisys and Motorola.
Dr. Kumar authored the book “Fabless Semiconductor Implementation,” published by McGraw Hill.
Fostered MGA and TAB cooperation
• Region 5-6 Governor, IEEE-HKN
• Recipient of a 2019 TAB “Hall of Honor” recognition
• Led TAB role in 2017/2014/2011 Sections Congress’s
o Program Vice-Chair, 2017 Sections Congress
• Chair of TAB Speakers Bureau initiative to service Sections
• Vice-chair of IEEE’s Entrepreneurship (2015-16). Promoter and supporter of IEEE N3XT.
• TAB rep on MGA Ops committee (2011)
• Member of San Diego Section activities
• Keynote speaker at first San Diego Section Women Leadership event, 2016
• IEEE Entrepreneurship Vice-Chair, 2014-2015
• As SSCS President/President-elect, promoted outreach for global presence.
o Reversed a declining trend in Society memberships
o Facilitated formation of 12 new Chapters (15% growth in 2 years)
o Promoted volunteer recognition - Fellow nominations increased by 80%
o Enhanced Educational activities -->15 tutorials/short courses available online, 7 Distinguished Lecture “Tours” in Regions 8-10 (participated in 3)
o Supported GOLD/YP and WIE activities
o Championed/promoted member value
• Inducted to 2019 TAB “Hall of Honor”
3 / 3
• Chair, IEEE/TAB Roadmaps initiative
• Vice-Chair, IEEE DataPort
• Chair, TAB Speakers Bureau
• Vice-Chair, Entrepreneurship (2015-16)
• Member 2012-13, alternate 2006-11
• TAB Strategic Planning 2014-16
• Management 2016-17
• Chair, TAB AdHoc Sections Congress 2017, 2014, 2011
• Representative, MGA Ops 2011
• Ethics and Conflict Resolution 2010
• TAB FinCom 2007-09.
SSCS: President 2012-13; Vice President 2010-11; Treasurer 2005-10; CICC Representative to SSCS
AdCom 2000-04; Nominations Chair 2014-15; Chair, Magazine Advisory Board, 2014-18. CICC Committee
1991-2004: Steering/Organizing, General Chair, Conference Chair, Program Chair, Exhibits Chair.
SSIT: Board of Governors (2015-present), Chair of AdHoc committee to turnaround the Society strategy
and finances (2012-14).
Keynote/Plenary Talks: ASICON 2013, ASSCC 2011-12, ICE-ID 2013.
• Promoting IEEE-HKN strategy and interactions with TA
• Driving an entrepreneurial approach to DataPort implementation
• Leading a new IEEE Roadmaps initiative
• Leading a TA initiative to create a “Speakers Bureau” to meet Section needs worldwide
• Successfully led efforts to turnaround SSIT
• As SSCS President/President-elect, promoted outreach for global presence, increased Society’s value
proposition, and reversed a declining membership trend.
o 15% Chapter growth in 2 years
o 80% Fellow nominations increase
o Enhanced Educational activities - online tutorials/short courses, 7 DL “Tours”
o 6 SSCS Webinars (2014)
o Spear-headed launch of SSCS Magazine (2005-06)
o Fostered Multi-Society cooperation that drove the formulation/approval of two cross-functional
publications - RFIC Virtual Journal, and JxCDC – Journal of Exploratory Computational Devices and Circuits
• IEEE and TAB Financial knowhow - FinCom (2004-07), Society Treasurer (2004-10). Coached two
Societies/Councils having financial difficulties.