IEEE Annual Election: Division I Candidates
Below are the candidates for IEEE Division I Delegate-Elect/Director-Elect, 2023; Delegate/Director, 2024-2025
- Circuits and Systems Society
- Electron Devices Society
- Solid-State Circuits Society
The sequence of candidates was determined by lottery and indicates no preference
- Samar K. Saha (Nominated by IEEE Division I)
- Yong Lian (Nominated by IEEE Division I)
Samar K. Saha
Samar K. Saha
(Nominated by IEEE Division I)
Milpitas, California, USA; and
Adjunct Faculty, Electrical Engineering Department
Santa Clara University
Santa Clara, California, USA
Samar Saha has served as the 2016-2017 President of the IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS). Currently, he is the Chief Scientist at Prospicient Devices and an Adjunct Professor in the Electrical Engineering (EE) department, Santa Clara University, California, USA.
Since 1984, he has worked in various technical and management positions at National Semiconductor, LSI Logic, Texas Instruments, Philips Semiconductors, Silicon Storage Technology, Synopsys, DSM Solutions, Silterra USA, and SuVolta. In academia, he was an EE faculty at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale; Auburn University; the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; and the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.
He has authored over 100 research papers; two books, entitled, FinFET Devices for VLSI Circuits and Systems (2020) and Compact Models for Integrated Circuit Design: Conventional Transistors and Beyond (2015); one book chapter on Technology Computer Aided Design; and holds 12 US patents. He is the recipient of 2021 IEEE EDS Distinguished Service Award.
As the Division-I Delegate/Director, I will execute my commitment to the IEEE and Division-I Societies/Councils (S/Cs) and facilitate opportunities for S/C volunteers to grow and contribute to IEEE to their fullest extent. With the help and cooperation of volunteers, I am committed to strategically position the IEEE Division-I S/Cs at the frontiers of technical evolution by:
- Promoting global interdisciplinary engineering education and research by closely working with the Division-I S/Cs as well as IEEE/non-IEEE entities;
- Facilitating life-long career support and resources for members by ensuring interdisciplinary education programs to advance members' interests by establishing services in support of their professional growth; encourage inter-society cooperation within Division-I through synergistic actions, collaborative events, and joint activities; and create member benefits to establish strong relationship with industry and practicing engineers;
- Increasing value of Division-I membership by adding benefits, features, and access opportunities in all IEEE Regions globally and in emerging economies and facilitate career advancement for young professionals and women-in-engineering in their technical field-of-interest;
- Increasing visibility of Division-I membership and strengthening global opportunities.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
Committees/Board: IEEE Fellow Committee (2022); Technical Activities Board (TAB) Awards and Recognition Committee (2018); TAB Presidents Forum (2016-2017); TAB Periodicals Committee (2013-2014); Conference Publications Committee (2012).
Electron Devices Society: Governance: Senior Past President (2020-2021); Junior Past-President (2018-2019); President (2016-2017); President-Elect (2014-2015); Elected member, Board of Governors (2009-2014); Publications Vice-President (2009-2013). Committee Chair: Fellow Evaluations (2020-2021); J.J. Ebers Awards (2020-2021); Nominations and Election (2018-2019); Awards (2018-2019); Celebrated Member Recognition (2016-2017); Young Professional Career Award (2014-2015); George Smith Award (2009-2013); Paul Rappaport Award (2009-2013); Compact Modeling Technical Committee (2005-2008); Regions 4-6 – North America West (NAW) (2008). Representative: Council of Electronic Design Automation, C-EDA (2005-2008).
Regions/Chapters: Santa Clara Valley/San Francisco (SCV/SF) Joint Section Chapter, ED15 Chair (2008); Vice-Chair (2007); Treasurer (2006-2007).
Conferences: Co-General Chair, 4th IEEE International Flexible Electronics Technology Conference (IFETC), 2022; Co-General Chair, IEEE 11th International Conference on Computer-Aided Design for Thin Film Transistor Technologies (CAD-TFT), 2020; Co-General Chair, IEEE 4th Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing (EDTM) Conference, 2020; Co-Founder/Co-General Chair, 1st IEEE IFETC, 2018; Co-Founder/General Chair, 1st CAD-TFT International Workshop, 2008.
Publications: Head Guest Editor, Journal of Electron Devices Society (J-EDS) Special Section, vol. 9, 2021; Guest Editor, J-EDS Special Section, vol. 8, 2020; Guest Editor, J-EDS Special Section, vol. 7, 2019; Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (T-ED) Special Issue (SI), vol. 60, February 2013; Steering Committee Chair, Journal of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, 2013; Head Guest Editor, T-ED SIs, vol. 56, September 2009; vol. 53, September 2006; Editorial Steering Committee, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 2006-2008.
Major Accomplishments: Co-founded and launched 1st IEEE IFETC (2018); Launched 1st IEEE EDTM Conference (2017); Established 1st EDS CENTER OF EXCELLENCE (2017); Established EDS’s first Five-year Strategic Planning (2017); Established five annual undergraduate fellowships and one annual Lester Eastman award (2019). Launched new periodicals: IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics (2011); IEEE J-EDS (2013).
(Nominated by IEEE Division I)
Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dr. Yong Lian received the B.Sc. degree from the College of Economics and Management, Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 1984, and the PhD degree from the Department of Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS) in 1994. He spent 9 years in industry before joining NUS and became the first Provost’s Chair Professor in the Department of ECE. His research interests are in the biomedical circuits and systems and signal processing. He has published more than 300 papers and won many awards including IEEE Circuits and Systems Society’s Guillemin-Cauer Award (1996), IEEE Communication Society Multimedia Communications Best Paper Award (2008), the Institution of Engineers Singapore Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award (2011), CN Yang Award in Science and Technology for New Immigrant (Singapore, 2014), Design Contest Award in ISLPED 2015. He is a Fellow of IEEE, the Canadian Academy of Engineering, and the Academy of Engineering Singapore.
Division Director is a voice representing the interests of more than 30,000 members within the Division I to the IEEE Board of Directors and TAB. If elected, I will work with all societies and councils of Division I to:
- Enhance the value of IEEE membership by providing more resources and services to local chapters and student branches.
- Provide open access technical content to industry professionals and students on emerging topics.
- Promote collaborations and joint events of societies and councils within the Division to drive interdisciplinary research activities, and to share best practices across the Division for better growth.
- Engage young professionals and students by fostering teamwork between the Division and MGA and leveraging resources in MGA to reach out to young generations and nurture future leaders.
- Enhance diversity and inclusiveness through outreach programs for under-represented groups and regions, and women.
- Define new strategies in responding to Open Science and making IEEE a leader in Open Science, especially on CCBY license compliance for self-archiving manuscript in a repository.
- Develop services and innovative solutions for post-pandemic lives.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
As the Circuits and Systems Society (CASS) president, Lian was instrumental in steering one of IEEE’s oldest Societies to broaden the technical coverage, especially in emerging fields, and provide better services to member through a series of new initiatives. In return, CASS membership increased by 6.6% and member retention rate went up by 5%, the best among all IEEE Societies in 2018, and hit 11-year high at the end of 2019. To help less developed countries, the society launched CAS Industry Tour in Latin America, African Workshop on Circuits and Systems, and CAS chapter networking sessions in Southeast Asia. At the Division-level, he promoted collaboration among societies and councils, leading to the first CASS and EDS joint conference LASCAS-LAEDC 2019 in Latin America, and joint seasonal schools with EDA and Nanotech Councils.
- Member-at-Large, Publication Services and Production Board (PSPB), 2022
- Member, Technical Activities Board (TAB), 2018-2019
- Member, PSPB Publishing Conduct Committee, 2022
- Member, PSPB Strategic Planning Committee, 2022 and 2013-2015
- Chair, TAB Periodicals Partnership Opportunities Committee, 2019-2022
- Member, TAB Products and Services Committee, 2021-2022
- Member, TAB Periodicals Committee, 2019-2022
- Member, TAB Periodicals Review Advisory Committee, 2019-2022
- Member, IEEE Biomedical Engineering Award Committee, 2017-2020
- Member, IEEE Medal for Innovations in Healthcare Technology Committee, 2009-2012
- Member, IEEE Fellow Strategic Planning Sub-committee, 2022
- Member, IEEE Fellow Committee, 2020-2021 and 2016-2018
- Chair, TAB Ad Hoc Committee on Accelerating Partnerships with Chinese Publications, 2022
Circuits and Systems Society:
- Past President, President, President-Elect, 2016-2021
- Vice President - Publications, 2013-2015
- Vice President - Region 10, 2007-2008
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, 2010-2013
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems Steering, 2007-2022
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Steering, 2013-2015
- Chair, DSP Technical Committee, 2010-2012
- Chair, Biomedical Circuits and Systems Technical Committee, 2008-2009
- General Chair, BioCAS2004/2009/2016, ISICAS2020, ASP-DAC2014
- Technical Program Chair, ISCAS2013/2018, BioCAS2006/2008, APCCAS2006/2014, DSP2015