Below are the candidates for IEEE Region 8 Delegate-Elect/Director-Elect, 2021-2022; Delegate/Director, 2023-2024
The sequence of candidates was determined by lottery and indicates no preference.
(Nominated by IEEE Region 8)
University of Milan
Vincenzo Piuri (IEEE Fellow, 2001) is Professor of Computer Engineering at University of Milan, Italy (since 2000). He has been Associate Professor at Politecnico di Milano, Italy (1992-2000), visiting professor at University of Texas at Austin, USA, and visiting researcher at George Mason University, USA. He founded a start-up company for industrial intelligent systems.
His research and industrial interests are: artificial intelligence, intelligent systems, machine learning, pattern recognition, signal/image processing, biometrics, measurement systems, industrial applications, IoT, and cloud computing. He has published 400+ research papers in international journals, conference proceedings, and books.
He has received several awards for scientific contributions and IEEE service. He is an IEEE Fellow, ACM Distinguished Scientist, IEEE-HKN Member, and Honorary Professor at five universities in Europe, China, India, and Japan. He is an active Member of CIS, CE Soc, ComSoc, CS, CSS, EMBS, IAS, IES, IMS, PES, PHOS, RAS, SMCS, SPS, BIOMC, SYSC, and WIE.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
In his 36 years of continuous and active service, Vincenzo Piuri has been involved in many activities and at many levels, strongly promoting a holistic, cooperative, and inclusive view for One IEEE, with a strategic vision and consensus building for effective results.
• Management: IEEE Vice President Technical Activities; IEEE Board of Directors (four years); Committees of Member and Geographic Activities Board and Educational Activities Board; Technical Activities Board, Publication Services and Products Board, and their Committees; Societies and Technical Councils (President; Vice President Membership, Publications, Education); Chapters; Student Branch.
• Strategic planning: Served/led in IEEE, MGA, TAB, and PSPB planning; encouraged cooperation and outreach among organizational units; promoted financial transparency.
• Technical activities: Chaired, co-founded, or promoted several technical committees (in CIS, CS, IMS, SYSC, BIOMC); promoted emerging technologies; founded the IEEE Environmental Engineering Initiative.
• Conferences: Organized 80+ events, including Smart World Congress (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015), WF-IOT (2016, 2015), SSCI (2013, 2011, 2009), I2MTC (2019, 2010, 2009, 2004), IJCNN (2010, 2009, 2000).
• Publications: Editor-in-Chief (ISJ); Associate Editor (T-C, T-CC, T-NN, T-IM); nurtured new publications (CI-M, T-AMD, T-CIAIG); promoted development of existing journals (T-IM, T-NN, T-FS, T-EC, ISJ) to address industry needs.
• Educational activities: Established a certification program and summer schools; delivered tutorials at conferences, on-line, and in the IEEE e-Learning Library.
• Members and community services: 2017 IEEE Sections Congress (Program Chair); promoted new networking events; started volunteer training programs in technical activities; founded or promoted foundation of a Section and 35+ Chapters worldwide.
• Inclusivity and diversity: Strongly promoted inclusivity for underserved groups (especially young professionals and women) and geographical areas; contributed to industry outreach; developed activities for entrepreneurs.
• Awards services: IEEE Awards Board; Technical Field Awards Committees (Chair, member); proposed several new awards.
These activities gave him a deep understanding of IEEE and the needs of our scientific and professional community.
IEEE is uniquely positioned as a global leader in science, technology, and innovation.
Together, we can timely understand emerging needs in our Region, further grow as premier reference, and enhance our profession by:
• identifying flexible and sustainable membership models, with fees proportional to the average income in our field in each Country, personalized membership benefits, and more focus on the young generations;
• continuing to be the trusted source for high-quality knowledge, by nurturing technical activities and conferences, focusing on emerging technologies, providing practical knowledge for professionals, and expanding continuing education;
• supporting underserved groups and geographical areas, by facilitating the access to knowledge and education, promoting soft skills and mentoring services, supporting entrepreneurship, expanding services for professionals and industry, and cooperating with Societies/Technical Councils and national associations.
I am fully committed to serve the IEEE members, our Region and our community, with strategic vision, galvanizing enthusiasm, and catalyzing all rich and diverse competences. A Region 8 and an IEEE in which everybody finds value and feels proud to be. An IEEE by people for people.
(Nominated by IEEE Region 8)
Full Professor and the Head of the Department
Department of Energy and Power Systems
University of Zagreb
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing
Igor Kuzle (born 1967) is a Full Professor and the Head of the Department of Energy and Power Systems at the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (https://www.fer.unizg.hr/en/igor.kuzle). Since 2017, he has been an associate member of the Croatian Academy of Engineering and a Licensed Engineer since 1994. He was the project leader for more than 80 technical projects for utilities and industry.
He is a member of 8 journal editorial boards, and he served as chairman of 5 international conferences and delivered more than 20 keynote lectures. Prof. Kuzle was awarded the highest Croatian National Science Award in the year 2018 for his outstanding contribution in the field of smart grid. Also, the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts awarded him for his excellence in the field of integration of renewable energy sources in the year 2019. He is/was a project coordinator several scientific projects.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
Serving in numerous positions throughout IEEE has afforded me an inside look into what our members and volunteers really need. I demonstrated a successful organization of IEEE R8 flagship conferences EUROCON 2013 and ENERGYCON 2014 and successful proposal for the first IEEE Milestone in Croatia. While I was serving as the IEEE Croatia Section Chair (2009-2012), the membership in the Section increased rapidly from 500 members and reached 746 members at the end of 2012. During my serving (2012-2015) as a chapter chair, IEEE PES Chapter of Croatia Section received the PES High Performing Chapter Program every year and won 2014 IEEE PES World Outstanding Chapter Contest. I received several IEEE awards for different accomplishments.
IEEE Croatia Section/Chapters:
Conferences (in last 5 years):
During the 25 years of my IEEE membership I was involved in different IEEE activities. As a member of the MGA Member Benefits Portfolio Advisory Committee I recognize what benefits IEEE can provide to the members of R8. Some of them already exist for R1-R7 and could be included for R8 as well through Vienna office. These benefits include seamless access to scientific content, accreditation, career opportunities, and continuous education. My goal is to integrate/detect/follow/summarize best practices from different IEEE sources in order to provide better and efficient R8 functioning. The plan includes enabling closer collaboration across R8 sections and units to achieve synergy in different IEEE activities. The main focus will be on cooperation between IEEE R8 and industry, student and young professional activities and on increasing IEEE visibility in Africa.