IEEE Annual Election - Region 9 (Latin America)
The candidates for 2024-2025 IEEE Region 9 Delegate-Elect/Director-Elect are listed below. Please note that the candidate listing order indicates no preference.
- Jose-Ignacio Castillo-Velazquez (Nominated by Petition)
- Gerardo Barbosa (Nominated by IEEE Region 9)
- Ruben Barrera-Michel (Nominated by IEEE Region 9)
Balloting for the 2023 IEEE Annual Election ended at 12:00 pm EDT (16:00 UTC) on 2 October 2023. The unofficial election results will be announced on 6 October 2023.
Autonomous University of Mexico City
Advanced Networking Laboratory
Mexico City, Mexico
Jose-Ignacio Castillo has 27 years of experience in computer networks & telecommunications. He participated in 110 national & international projects. Since 2008 Castillo is a tenured Professor at Autonomous University of Mexico City as head of Advanced Network Laboratory. Castillo was a visitor Professor for the University of Army in México (UDEFA), The Metropolitan Autonomous University (UAM) Salesian Polytechnical University (UPS-Ecuador), BUAP, UPAEP & UTM. Castillo wrote 50 conference & journal papers, 4 books related to computer networks and leadership. He offered 171 keynote & invited talks. He lectured 138 courses for grade and postgrade. He is referee for IEEE & SPRINGER journals and conferences. As practitioner he worked with TELMEX-REDUNO, The Federal Electoral Institute, and DICINET. He participated with ISO / IEC 27000 committees. As consultant he works with DATACENTER DYNAMICS. He studied MSc. & BSc. in Electronics [with honors] by B. Autonomous University of Puebla Mexico.
As Regional Director, I will use my 21 years of volunteering experience in IEEE with more than 30 official and no official positions to focus my team activities on 5 main actions.
- To maintain continuity with projects established in past, making resilient and making new ones our team will implement a maturity model and regular assessment for projects to face the growing challenges in a changing world.
- With my experience in academia, our team will work for diversifying the IEEE Latin American Transactions to making grow the production and quality.
- With my experience in industry, our team will work in the creation of IEEE-R9 Consultants Data Base to attract potential consultants and to increase the practitioner’s participation.
- Using my experience in projects, our team will share products such as books, programs and tutorials to those community members preferring some products in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Our region needs to make and implement a long-range plan for development using maturity levels which can help all sections to face 2030 and beyond.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
- Championing to get the 5th Module from IEEE E-Scientia Initiative for R9 to be located at Universum Museum in Mexico, for 50,000 USD (2012-2015)
- Conversion of IEEE Latin America Transactions Editor in Chief as a regular committee member for R9 Board (2012)
Region 9 (Latin America)/ Section:
- IEEE E-Scientia Task Force Member (2012-2015)
- Regional Secretary (2012-2013)
- Virtual Regional Meeting Administrator (2010-2013)
- Strategic Planning Committee Member (2009-2013)
- Virtual Communities Ad-Hoc Committee Chair (2008-2009)
- Virtual Communities Ad-Hoc Committee Member (2007)
- History Committee Chair (2023)
- Webmaster (2008-2009)
- Autonomous University of Mexico City, Student Branch Counselor (2009-2018)
IEEE Computer Society:
- Morelos Chapter Chair (2022-2023)
- Distinguished Visitor Program Committee Member (2018)
- Distinguished Lecturer (DVP-2015-2017)
- Network LAN & MAN STC Member (2013-2014)
- Cloud Computing STC Member (2013-2014)
- Audit Committee Chair (2013)
- Audit Committee Member (2012)
- Board of Governors Member (2012-2014)
- Golden Core Member (2011)
- Board of Governors Member (2011)
- Autonomous University of Mexico City, Computer Society Student Branch Chapter Advisor (2011-2018)
- Ibero American University (Mexico City), Computer Society Student Branch Chapter Advisor (2011-2012)
IEEE R9 Communications Society Chapter:
- Technical Activities Chair (2018-2019)
- Secretary (2016-2017)
- Membership Development Chair (2016-2017)
- Best Education Paper Award – IEEE ANDESCON (2022)
- Best Paper Award – IEEE ANDESCON (2020)
- Chair of Latin American Industry Symposium (2012 and 2013)
- Chair of Latin America Symposium on Cloud Computing Data Center and Networking (LASCCDCN), the 1st Conference in Latin America related to cloud computing, supported by Computer Society and R9 (2012)
- NoticIEEEro Editor in Chief (2010-2011)
- NoticIEEEro Editor (2008-2009)
- Editorial Committee Member, IEEE Latin American Transactions (2008-2015)
Gerardo sold his first app in 2003 at age 20. He started his first company right after graduation and has co-founded two other software startups in Monterrey in the last decade. He has an Electronics and Communications BS and an IT Management MS from Tecnológico de Monterrey, the first Latin American university in history to receive full accreditation of its engineering programs by ABET. He also completed a Technology Commercialization MS at UT Austin.
He is an IEEE Senior Member and Computer Society Member with 15 years of experience as a Section volunteer, nine years of experience as a Region 9 volunteer, five years of experience on the IEEE MGA Board of Directors, and has been a member of IEEE-HKN since 2015.
Gerardo served IEEE in many volunteer roles, including MGA Treasurer, MGA Vice-Chair, Region 9 Treasurer, Region 9 Technical Activities Chair & Conference Coordinator, and Chair of the Monterrey Section.
As Region 9 Director, I will inspire and empower our volunteers to create programs and services specifically tailored to our members, increasing our impact and public awareness in the Region. I plan to focus on these five goals:
- Increase the value of IEEE membership and engagement for our members by ensuring a steady stream of funding for critical Region projects.
- Provide extensive support for our volunteers, allowing them to focus their energy on new and ambitious initiatives at the Region level.
- Implement successful pre-university programs to inspire kids in our Region to pursue careers in STEM.
- Engage our students on the value of being an IEEE member and support them during their transition to higher-grade membership.
- Help our YP and WIE members to achieve Senior Member status when eligible and to engage more members in their activities.
I have volunteered at the Section, Region, MGA Board, and MGA/IEEE Committee levels. In Monterrey, I organized the formation of the first IEEE-HKN Chapter in Region 9. As Section Chair, I had the highest levels of retention and recruitment in the history of the Section while ensuring new volunteers were trained and engaged in continuing the work after my term ended. At Region 9, I served on the Region Committee for nine years: First as Section Chair (2014-2015), as Technical Activities/Conference Coordinator (2016-2017), as Region Treasurer (2018-2020), and as Past Region 9 Treasurer (2021-2022). As MGA Treasurer during the pandemic, working with IEEE staff and volunteers, we made sure the Treasurers in all the IEEE Geographic Units had the support they needed to complete their financial reporting accurately and on time.
- Region 9 Past Treasurer (2021-2022)
- Region 9 Treasurer (2018-2020)
- Region 9 Technical Activities/Conference Coordinator (2016-2017)
- Monterrey Section Nominations and Appointments Chair (2020-2023)
- Monterrey Section Chair (2014-2015)
- Monterrey Section Secretary/Treasurer (2012-2013)
- Monterrey Section GOLD (now YP) Affinity Group Chair (2010-2011)
- Monterrey Section Student Activities Chair (2011)
- Monterrey Section Educational Activities Chair (2009-2010)
- Treasurer (2021-2023)
- Vice Chair – Information Management (2019-2020)
- Finance Committee Chair (2021-2023)
- Strategic Planning Committee Member (2022-2023)
- Region Realignment Ad Hoc Committee Member (2021-2023)
- Operations Committee Member (2019-2023)
- IT Coordination & Oversight Committee Past Chair (2021-2022)
- IT Coordination & Oversight Committee Chair (2019-2020)
- vTools Committee Member (2018)
- IEEE Strategy and Alignment Committee Member (2023)
- IEEE New Initiatives Committee Member (2023)
- IEEE Finance Committee Member (2021-2023)
- IEEE Data Based Business Strategy Ad Hoc Committee Member (2022)
- IEEE App Working Group Member (2019-2023)
HMSM Hermanos Michel
Ruben Barrera-Michel is the CEO of HMSM, a company dedicated to providing logistic services to American Airlines, United Airlines and Copa Airlines at Guadalajara’s Airport, he is a consultant of these companies too. Ruben received his Bachelor degree from Universidad del Valle de Atemajac (2004) and his Master Degree in Industrial Engineering (2007). He has been speaker in many conferences on topics such as Leadership, Professional Development, Job Search, Interpersonal Skills, Self-Confidence, Retention & Recruitment in private and public universities.
In 2009 he was recognized as an outstanding engineer by the Governor of Jalisco State and Jalisco Engineer’s Chamber, and in 2015 received the Professional Outstanding Graduated Award from the Universidad del Valle de Atemajac for his work and commitment to society, for the exercise of values in their professional career. In 2021 he was appointed as Alumni Reference for his outstanding professional performance with a positive impact on society.
My goal is to continue positioning R9 and IEEE to higher levels, reflecting members and volunteers achievements through these 4 pillars:
- Interacting with Section leaders to develop content and material related to emerging technologies, humanitarian and health projects to provide a better future for humanity. This requires regular updates to reflect the best practices from Sections, Student Branches and Chapters.
- R9 faces particular economic, political, and social challenges that impact the adoption and implementation of technology. I will work to establish working groups dedicated to understand needs and challenges in Sections and identifying opportunities for innovation.
- Promoting diversity and inclusion: Latin America is a diverse region with different languages, cultures and traditions. It’s essential to promote diversity and inclusion in IEEE to ensure that it reflects and supports the diverse needs of the region and effectively serving members, the professional community and enhancing the membership value.
- Providing relevant and accessible education and training: Access to education and training in technology is limited in R9. It’s essential to provide relevant and accessible education and training programs.
In 2015, as Section Chair, Guadalajara City was selected by IEEE Future Direction Committee for the Smart Cities kick-off. IEEE FDC invested about USD $450,000 to run this project and, in conjunction with my Section, we supported and supervised the Smart Cities project where local universities, Government and Industries were involved.
As Chair of A&A Committee, in 2018, we achieved the goal of elevations by almost 500, and in 2019 with the online model, we surpassed our goal by 1200 elevations. In 2019 staff and myself implemented the online review process to avoid printing hundreds of applications that used to be shipped the panel’s locations, saving a lot of economic resources to IEEE.
As 2020 MGA Training Committee Chair, we achieved our goal of providing 65 VoLT leaders annually. We received over 350 applications. We also implemented the renewed VoLT program and the IEEE 101 courses. I worked to renew all the content at CLE site and SC Virtual Training online presentations.
- 2023 IEEE Sections Congress Program Chair
- MGA SAC Chair 2023
- MGA MBPAC Committee Chair 2022
- MGA Training Committee: Chair 2020-2021; Member 2017-2018
- MGA Admission and Advancement Committee: Past Chair 2020-2021; Chair 2018-2019
- MGA Student Activities Committee Vice-Chair 2015-2016
- IEEE A&A Committee: Vice-Chair and R9 Member, 2016, 2014, 2015
- MGA Student Activities Committee Member 2011-2012
- IEEE Individual Benefits and Service Committee Member-at-Large 2009
- IEEE Contact Center Ad Hoc Committee – Member 2008-2009
- R9 Ad Hoc Committee Collabratec Chair 2021-2023
- R9 Ad Hoc Committee Membership Development Member 2021
- IEEE Regional Student Activities Committee Chair 2011-2012
- Guadalajara Section: Treasurer 2015-2020; Chair 2013-2014; Treasurer 2011-2012;
- YP Group Chairman 2004-2012
- University del Valle de Atemajac Student Branch: Chair, 2001-2003; Counselor, 2007
- Member of IEEE Smart Cities
- 2013 Theodore Hissey Award for Region 9
- 2021 MGA Leadership Award Recipient