Student Ethics Competition
About the competition
IEEE Student Ethics Competitions (SECs) are sponsored by the IEEE Ethics and Member Conduct Committee (EMCC). Competition Guidelines were developed for use at IEEE student events to encourage the study and awareness of professional ethics by IEEE Student and Graduate Student members. Competitions include a presentation and defense of a case analysis by teams of students. Specific objectives of the competition program are:
- To foster familiarity with the IEEE Code of Ethics and ethical concepts,
- To promote a model for discussing and analyzing ethical questions, and
- To provide experience in applying ethical concepts to professional situations.
The use of the competition as part of curriculum assignments or extra credit activities is encouraged.
- Student Ethics Competition Guidelines (PDF, 198 KB)
- IEEE Code of Ethics (PDF, 279 KB)
- Sample Honor Statement (PDF, 128 KB)
- Promotional poster template - large (DOCX, 2 MB)
- Promotional poster template - small (DOCX, 2 MB)
- Case criteria and analysis format (PDF, 138 KB)
- Sample ethics cases (PDF, 171 KB)
- Sample participant guide (PDF, 146 KB)
- Judging form - live event 2-member teams (PDF, 129 KB)
- Judging form - live event 3-member teams (PDF, 130 KB)
- Judging form - virtual event (PDF, 129 KB)
- Suggested references (PDF, 198 KB)
- Guidance for members seeking support (PDF, 80 KB)
Apply for EMCC support of a competition
Requests for EMCC support of Student Ethics Competitions must be completed online by clicking here. Such applications must be received at least 60 days before the scheduled competition.
Applications must include the following information: