URL Redirect Registration Form
Reasons for needing a redirect
Some reasons for needing a redirect are as follows:
- You are any IEEE web entity, such as a Society, Chapter, or Region, and would like an address with the "www.ieee.org" domain pointing to a site located on another server (Entity Web Hosting or your own host).
- You are sending a promotional mailing and want a specific URL, such as https://www.ieee.org/join.
- You have a long URL that you would like to appear shortened in print promotions.
Please note the following:
- This service is only available for creating redirects within the "www.ieee.org" domain.
- Redirects should not be advertised, printed, or communicated until they have been approved and created. Having a redirect already in print before the request has been processed is not reason enough for the redirect to be created.
- Redirects will be reviewed annually and are subject to deactivation if they do not comply with the redirect guidelines.
- If you plan to use Google AdSense for tracking purposes, Google policy does not allow you to tag a vanity URL. The text in the ad and the hyperlink need to match per their policy.
Redirect URL format requirements
Keep in mind the following when requesting a redirect. This will help to provide a more consistent web experience across the IEEE web presence and enhance search ranking of pages.
- Use lowercase lettering.
- Include descriptive and relevant keywords in the redirect URL to ensure better indexing by search engines.
- Use a hyphen (-) instead of an underscore (_) to separate keywords in your request term. It is not recommended to separate keywords with underscores since search engines treat the combined result as one keyword.
- Try to keep redirect terms as short as possible (around one to three keywords).
- The term “ieee” should not be used in the requested address since it is already used in the domain name.
- Use of abbreviations is discouraged. If an abbreviation or acronym is used, it should be a commonly used and understood industry term.