IEEE Life Membership
IEEE “Life” status is automatically bestowed based on age and years of membership. IEEE Life membership (LM) is proof of a strong sustained commitment to the profession.
The IEEE Life Members Fund (LMF) of the IEEE Foundation supports IEEE activities of interests to LMs, potential engineers, and engineering students.
IEEE Life membership qualifications
IEEE Life Membership is automatically bestowed upon an active IEEE member who:
- Has attained the age of 65 years
- Has been a member of IEEE for such a period that the sum of his/her age and his/her years of membership equals or exceeds 100 years
The designation of Life Member is effective on January 1 of the year immediately succeeding the year in which the requirements were met. Members who qualify will be notified by mail in the fourth quarter of the qualifying year.
Benefits of Life membership
- Dues and regional assessments are waived for a Life Member.
- For qualifying Life Members, society fees are waived (IEEE Bylaw I-108.8).
- Individuals may receive reduced member rates at conferences where IEEE is the sole sponsor. IEEE Policy 10.1.15 "Reduced fees, waiver of fees, or fee differential for unemployed IEEE members, retired members, and for special registrants (e.g., guests, speakers, and exhibitors) are permitted at the discretion of the Conference Organizing Committee. The individual registration fee for Life Members must be no more than that for students."
- Life Members continue to receive the same benefits that are available to other IEEE members.
- Life Members continue to receive the benefits included in the IEEE Member Discounts Program (includes IEEE Insurance Program).
Life member profile confirmation
On an annual basis, IEEE asks its Life members to confirm the publications and services they wish to continue to receive.
Use your IEEE Account to log in and update your Life member profile. Note, if you have additional paid memberships and subscriptions, you will be prompted for payment information for those you wish to continue to receive for the coming year.
Life members have until the end of February each year to complete this step before access to services is suspended. Since IEEE Life membership is in perpetuity, should you decide to once again receive IEEE publications, and/or reactivate qualifying society memberships, simply contact the IEEE Contact Center for assistance in restoring access to your services and publications at any time.
About your IEEE Account
Every member has an IEEE Account that can be used to manage their profile. If you do not know your username and/or password, you can recover it from the login page. Please do not create a new account, as it will not link to your member profile. Hint: If you received an e-mail from IEEEService, check the bottom of that message for your username.
IEEE Special Interest Memberships and Subscriptions
To maximize your membership value, customize your membership with options that target your specific interests.
Inactive status and reinstatement
If a Life member does not annually confirm that they would like to continue to receive services/publication(s), they will be removed from the active membership roster and placed on inactive status.
An IEEE Life member with an inactive status will not receive services/publication(s) or an election ballot. Active Life membership shall be reinstated, with no loss of continuity of membership upon notification that the Life member confirms that the services/publication(s) and/or distribution of an election ballot are still desired, subject to the limitations of IEEE Bylaw I-308.10.