IEEE Life Members Affinity Groups
Why establish a Life Members Affinity Group
While many Life members remain active in IEEE projects at various levels of IEEE, the Life Members Committee encourages the formation of Life Members Affinity Groups in Sections because the committee believes more Life members will remain involved if there are Life Members Affinity Groups.
Life Members Groups:
- Enable Life members to retain active IEEE associations
- Contribute to the social good in their communities
- Advance the professional interests of IEEE
- Allow members to enjoy each other's company
Relationship between the Life Members Committee and Life Members Affinity Groups
Life Members Affinity Groups are a subunit of the Life Members Committee. They are established upon petition to the MGA Board and with the cooperation of the Section Chair. The Life Members Fund provides annual funding to groups for support of Life member activities through their respective Regional Life Member Coordinators.
How to establish a Life Members Affinity Group
A petition to establish an IEEE Life Members Affinity Group must be submitted and approved by the IEEE Life Members Committee Chair, Region Director, and Section Chair.
The petition to establish an Affinity Group shall contain:
- Name of the Section/s or Council
- Name of the parent organizational unit
- Name of the organizer (who becomes interim Chair pending election of a regular Chair at a later organization meeting)
- Signatures of at least six (6) IEEE members, other than Students, who are members of the Section(s) involved and who indicate they will join the affinity group if established
More information about the petition process can be found within the Affinity Group petition form.
IEEE Life Members Affinity Group Achievement Award
Life members represent an invaluable repository of personal experiences involving the history of areas of interest to IEEE. The IEEE Life Members Committee (LMC) believes that keeping Life members active and engaged is a key component of the success of IEEE in local IEEE activities. The LMC annually recognizes one Life Member Affinity Group (LMAG) for their activities held for Life members.