Become an IEEE Senior Member
Senior member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. IEEE members can self-nominate, or be nominated, for Senior Member grade.
To be eligible for application or nomination, candidates must:
- Be engineers, scientists, educators, technical executives, or originators in IEEE-designated fields
- Have experience reflecting professional maturity
- Have been in professional practice for at least ten years (with some credit for certain degrees)
- Show significant performance over a period of at least five of their years in professional practice
Prospective members who would like to apply directly for Senior Member grade must first join IEEE and then submit the Senior Member application form. An IEEE Member Number is required on the Senior Member application. The Senior Member portal may not be accessible for 24 hours if you have joined or renewed your IEEE membership. There is no additional fee to apply for Senior Member grade. For applications or nominations to be considered, they must be received completed, with all required references and resume, at least seven days prior to the meeting date.
Please note, for the best experience, please use the latest version of Chrome or Firefox to complete your application. The platform does not support Internet Explorer.
Also note: Applications and attachments, such as resumes and CVs, must be written/submitted in English.
Benefits of Senior membership
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Leadership eligibility: Senior members are eligible to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions.
- Ability to refer other candidates: Senior members can serve as a reference for other applicants for Senior membership.
- Review panel: Senior members are invited to be on the panel to review Senior member applications.
- Letter of commendation: A letter of commendation on the achievement of Senior member grade will be sent to your employer (upon request). Request a letter of commendation.
- Announcements: Announcement of your elevation can be made in section/society and/or local newsletters, newspapers, and notices. Please contact your Section Chair for more information.
- Complimentary Society Membership: You may join one new IEEE Society for one year.
- Senior Member plaque: An engraved plaque you can proudly display to colleagues, clients, and employers. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is mailed approximately twelve weeks after elevation.