IEEE Annual Election: Region 10 Candidates (Asia and Pacific)
Below are the candidates for IEEE Region 10 Delegate-Elect/Director-Elect, 2023-2024; Delegate/Director, 2025-2026.
The sequence of candidates was determined by lottery and indicates no preference.
- Takako Hashimoto (Nominated by IEEE Region 10)
- Ling Chuen "Michael" Ong (Nominated by IEEE Region 10)
(Nominated by IEEE Region 10)
Vice President and Professor
Chiba University of Commerce
Takako Hashimoto graduated from the Ochanomizu University in Japan and received a Ph.D. in engineering from the Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba. She worked at the Software R&D Center of Ricoh Co. Ltd., Japan, and became Associate Professor of Chiba University of Commerce. In 2015, she was a visiting researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is currently the Vice President and Professor of the Faculty of Commerce and Economics at Chiba University of Commerce. Her work is focused on data mining research and social media analysis, especially topic extraction from millions of tweets related to disasters and the COVID-19 pandemic. She served as a Board Member of the Database Society of Japan, Research Fellow of the University of Tokyo, and Fellow of Information Processing Society of Japan. She is a recipient of the 2019 MGA Larry K. Wilson Transnational Award.
With approximately 150K members, IEEE Region 10 (Asia & Pacific) continues to grow even under the challenging situation and is the largest, the most diverse, and one of the most important regions in IEEE. If I am elected as the R10 Director, I would like to dedicate my experience and knowledge to the following matters.
- Initiate projects to provide lifelong education through IEEE's Learning Network to students, Young Professionals, Women in Engineering, seniors, and Life Members in R10 to learn new skills.
- Strengthen the relationship with industries, provide more tangible values to industry members.
- Enhance Reaching Locals project and promote innovative projects to develop effective local solutions.
- Promote diverse communication to enhance the presence of R10 members and encourage Diversity & Inclusion in IEEE.
- Respect diversity within R10 and actively represent the voice and concerns of R10 in IEEE Board on various issues, including region realignment.
I am grateful for the many brilliant friends and valuable times spent in IEEE, and I look forward to building a brighter future with you in R10!
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
1. IEEE R10 Secretary (2019-20): Supported various activities in R10 under Prof. Akinori Nishihara, R10 Director (2019-20). Held the first virtual Region Meeting in IEEE under COVID-19 pandemic.
2. IEEE Japan Council Chair (2021-present): Working to deliver IEEE values to the members. Particularly, leading Engineer Spotlight as part of Reaching Locals projects, supporting membership elevation, industry promotion and Awards.
3. IEEE CS BoG (2021-present): Promoting Diversity & Inclusion as the D&I committee member, and conducting InTech Forum, focusing on industries.
4. IEEE WIE (Women in Engineering) Chair and Coordinator (2011-16): Successfully organized various initiatives such as IEEE WIE ILC, WIE ILS, Special Funding, Travel Grant, Magazines, Newsletters, New Web Site launch, and Scholarships.
5. IEEE MGA MRRC Chair (2017-18): Conducted more than 24 seminars/presentations to empower IEEE members on the web.
I have served in different positions such as IEEE WIE Chair (2015-16), IEEE Japan Council Chair (2021-22), IEEE R10 Secretary (2019-20), and continuously contributed to IEEE Headquarters, Region 10, and Sections/Councils. Through my experience, I could build a strong network in MGA, especially in R10. As a researcher, I have led various projects in the field of AI (data mining, topic extraction, etc.) and developed close relationships with top researchers in academia and industries. As the Chair of IEEE Japan Council with about 14K members, I support the activities of Students, WIE, YP, LM, MD, and EA, and lead various projects such as facilitating the bridge between sections and Chapters, encouraging membership elevation, and highlighting members' contributions. Recently, I have been promoting the IEEE Japan Council Manga Project, which is an outreach project using comics (in Japanese and English) to convey the pleasure of technologies to the younger generations, and has attracted attention from academic societies, governments, and companies.
Ling Chuen "Michael" Ong
Ling Chuen "Michael" Ong
(Nominated by IEEE Region 10)
Michael Ong received the PhD degree from the University of Birmingham, UK. He was with Singapore Telecom as project manager for Singapore’s first digital trunked radio system. From 1999 to 2020, he was a senior scientist and manager for the Smart Nation Programme at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research where he was also principal investigator for more than 10 national funded projects. He was an adjunct Associate Professor with the National University of Singapore, lecturing a postgraduate module in RF System Design from 1999 to 2015.
As past Region 10 Treasurer, he has intimate knowledge of its functions and organizational structure, and contributed significantly in overseeing its financial management. He has also established strong governance in conference organization with important roles as General and Finance Chairs. As Singapore Section Chair, he has encouraged students, YPs and WIEs to take up responsibilities and empowered them to run their activities.
Region 10 is the fastest growing region in IEEE with more than 150,000 members. By virtue of its location, R10 has a diverse and vibrant community to fuel its further growth. I will lead in the Region realignment, working with the stakeholders to implement a well-defined procedure and process for a united and inclusive new R10.
I am willing to devote my time to serve and lead R10 with dedication and commitment. If given the chance, I will work ardently in these areas:
- Sustaining the Sections and supporting the local technical communities.
- Promoting membership growth and relevance to existing and new members by promoting industry events to enable them to grow in their profession and careers.
- Serving members’ needs, and adapting our benefits and services to address changing member demographics.
- Empowering and engaging students/YPs/WIEs in synergizing programs, grooming them to be future IEEE leaders.
I believe that I have the experience and competence to lead the activities, engage and build strong relations with our members and volunteers for a more vibrant and cohesive Region 10.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
- IEEE Technical Program Integrity Committee (Member, 2022-present)
- IEEE Conference Application Review Committee (Member, 2021-present)
- MGA Membership Recruitment & Recovery Committee (Region Member Development Coordinator, 2015-2017, 2020)
- MGA Member Benefits Portfolio Advisory Committee (Member, 2014-2015)
- Sections Congress 2023 (Coordinator, 2022-present)
- Conference Quality & Management Committee (Chair, 2021-present)
- Conference & Technical Seminar Committee (Chair, 2019-2020)
- Member Development Committee (Chair, 2015-2018)
- Individual Benefits & Services Committee (Coordinator, 2013-2014)
- Treasurer (2011-2012)
- Singapore Section (Chair, 2019-2020; Awards & Recognition Committee Chair, 2021-present; Vice-Chair, 2017-2018; Treasurer, 2015-2016)
-Started the IEEE Industry Night in 2020 with the Institute of Engineers Singapore in conjunction with the IEEE Day celebrations, with speakers from the industry and academia in this networking event for members and non-members
- Singapore MTT & AP Joint Chapter (Chair, 2010-2011; Vice-Chair, 2009; Treasurer, 2008)
-Started the MTT & AP joint Chapter Best Student Paper Awards in 2010
General Chair, General Co-Chair:
- IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology 2012 (RFIT2012) (General Chair cum Finance Chair)
- Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2019 (APMC) (General Co-Chair)
- IEEE Region 10 Conference 2016 (TENCON) (General Co-Chair)
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2017
- IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications 2015
- IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications 2013
- IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics jointly held with Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics Conference 2011
- IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems 2006 & 2010
- Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2009
- IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband 2007
- IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology 2005
Technical Program Chair:
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation 2012