IEEE maintains property and liability insurance coverage in order to minimize losses associated with the adverse effects of unforeseen events. 

The IEEE Corporate Insurance Program is extended to cover IEEE's Sections, Regions, Societies, Technical Councils, Chapters, Student Branches, and sponsored and co-sponsored conferences. Review Section 5 of the Finance Operations Manual (PDF, 664 KB) for more information.

Types of insurance coverage

The IEEE Corporate Insurance Program consists of the following types of coverage:


While acting within the scope of their duly authorized duties, IEEE Volunteers are included as additional insureds under IEEE's Corporate Insurance Program.

Protection against personal liability arising out of the performance of authorized duties on behalf of IEEE is also provided under IEEE Bylaw I-300.3 Indemnification. 

Claims management

The Office of Risk and Insurance Management Services (ORIMS) is responsible for managing claims where it is alleged that IEEE may have caused others bodily injury or damage to property of third parties, as well as claims that involve loss of, or damage to, IEEE owned property. 

Types of Claims managed:

  • General Liability
  • Property
  • Auto Liability (and Physical Damage)
  • Global Volunteer Travel Accident / Medical Expense
  • Professional Liability
  • Other Liability

Any incident, which may result in a Property, Auto, or other Liability claim, should be immediately reported to ORIMS will investigate reported incidents and submit claims to the appropriate insurance carriers.

Certificates of insurance

A certificate of insurance is a document used to verify that an organization maintains insurance coverage. Third-party organizations often request IEEE to provide evidence of coverage in connection with contractual agreements. Certificates of insurance must be prepared by IEEE's insurance broker. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. 

To request a certificate of insurance, please contact with the following information:

  • Name and description of IEEE-sponsored activity
  • Name and address of third-party organization requesting evidence of coverage (Certificate Holder)
  • Please provide a copy of the contract or agreement between the third-party organization and IEEE including the specific insurance requirements